Purposes of SICA
The Central American Integration System (SICA) is to realize the integration of Central America in order for the Isthmus to become a Region of Peace, Freedom, Democracy and Development. To that end, the following objectives are hereby reaffirmed:
- To consolidate democracy and strengthen its institutions based on the existence of governments elected by universal, free and secret suffrage, and on the unrestricted respect for human rights.
- To set up a new model of regional security based on the reasonable balance of forces, the strengthening of civilian authority, the overcoming of extreme poverty, the promotion of sustainable development, the protection of the environment, and the eradication of violence, corruption, terrorism, and drug and arms trafficking.
- To promote a broad regime of freedom to ensure the full and harmonious development of the human person and of society as a whole.
- To achieve a regional system of welfare and economic and social justice for the peoples of Central America.
- To attain economic union and strengthen the Central American financial system.
- To strengthen the region as an economic bloc in order to insert it successfully into the international economy.
- To reaffirm and consolidate the self-determination of Central America as it pertains to the region's external relations, through a single strategy to strengthen and expand the participation of the region as a whole in the international arena.
- Promote, in a harmonious and balanced way, the sustained economic, social, cultural and political development of Member States and the region as a whole.
- Establish concerted actions directed toward the preservation of the environment through respect and harmony with nature, ensuring the balanced development and rational exploitation of natural resources of the area, with a view to establishing a New Ecological Order in the region.
- To constitute the Central American Integration System based on a legal and institutional order and mutual respect among Member States.